Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Brunswick to Wahoo!!!

Hard not to say that (or type it) without enthusiasm.

Wahoo is just off the ICW (Google calls it Blackbeard Creek). We left Brunswick about 7:30 am, after four other boats had left -- another three or four came behind us.

As we headed to the Saint Simon Sound I noticed a tug just pulling out into the river. I gave him a wide berth, assuming at some point he'd jam on the speed and wake the snot out of us. He kept slow, and I passed him as we headed under the large suspension bridge. Polite, I said. Then Russ grabbed the binoculars and said, "Nope, he's just waiting for that guy." About two nautical miles out, looming like an island, was a huge car freighter.

While both our vessels were in the channel, there was plenty of water for little-ole us. I veered to port, out of the channel and his wake, and we watched as he chugged by. Made for shipping cars, these things are big and boxy. And intimidating. Only the first shipping channel encounter we'll have, I'm sure.

So big we couldn't get it in one picture.
Boats ahead of us, look like they're on land.
Our path was snaky, twisting and turning, as we followed one river to an inlet only to turn back almost 180 degrees to get onto another. The tide was going out most of the morning, so as we approached inlets we managed to get over 10 knots without trying. Once we made the turn away, we were lucky to maintain 6. Frequently narrow, many boats clustered, following each other through the twisty streams in between grassy wetlands. It reminded me of Disney's Jungle Cruise.

We saw a number of dolphins today. We've noticed that these guys rarely play. In southern Florida, if we saw them, most times they were on our wake. Not at all the case since we left Titusville, or thereabouts.

The trip was smooth, and anchoring, good. Our only problem was dogs. I selected a spot near sandy banks, thinking that would be easy to unload and walk dogs. Once we got there, however, the banks weren't full of sand at all but rather shells. Thousands of shells. Little shells, big shells, sharp-and-ouchie-on-puppy-paws shells. Troopers that they are, they did what they needed to, but we won't stop there in the morning. We'll try the "go on the boat" route.

Dinghy full of food and looper friends
Cat-n-Dogs was the first to anchor. Soon others found spots, and some we knew from Brunswick. Quick texts and emails went out and by 5 pm a dinghy pulled up next to us with food and drink. George and Nina from the sail cat, Breathe, and Richard and Jill from Jill Kristy joined us for dinner.

Looks like weather is coming on Friday so we're going to shoot right to Savannah, arriving two days earlier than we planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not ours anymore

There's a saying in the boating world, that the happiest days of a boater life is the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it. This...